View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 06:47 AM
Iceblossom

We each have reasons (or not) on why we do things. My son is vegan and has cut out honey because it is made by bees -- well, so is almost every piece of fruit you eat as well as many vegetables are pollinated by bees. Even having been a vegetarian myself I never understood the bee thing, but I know it is a thing.

There are (of course!) standards on what makes things organic. It is my understanding that non-processed/composted manure is considered organic if there are no additives and that it does not matter what the feed or antibiotics that the animal is treated with, only what the manure is treated with after it is produced. It's one of those areas that causes concerns because things like sewage sludge waste products (which have been sterilized) can be used despite mineral and other contamination.

Today is Farmer's Market day. I'll chat with a couple of the vendors. I know we have organic, regular, and "transitional" farms represented. Transitional is the period they have to go through before they can be certified as organic even if they have grown the crops organically on fresh ground.