View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 02:12 PM
kay carlson

My husband and I were visiting with a classmate this morning about people who hoard items to be left for family to handle following a death.

My reasons for quilting are the challenge of designing, satisfaction of learning a new technique, and the stress relief for mental health. In the past two months, I have probably given away $2,000 worth of fabric, but the cost does not bother me or my husband.

Most recently I passed on hundreds of blocks made during my scrappy fabric era, the majority of my homemade pre-cuts, some yardage and batting. I was so fortunate to learn of a small business owner offering workshops to make a quilt for a child. First responders have even participated in the workshops to publicize the value of the availability of a quilt in the car trunk to wrap a traumatized child in something which brings comfort. This was an excellent place to re-home my extensive I Spy collection and children's prints.

The second group is composed to talented quilters who have the capability to design beautiful quilts for hospice patients. They rely on donations, both physically and monetarily. The supplies are used for such a good purposes!

The items I gave away were not for glory. They had served their purpose and could be used by others. This was not a waste of time or money on my part. I had made the purchases with my own discretionary funds. I have been very resourceful thorough out my life and it is time to downsize. I can't possibly use all of what I have. It is a pleasure to be able to pass things forward.

Fortunately, my wonderful husband has always supported my interest in quilting without complaint or judgment. Down-sizing consistently will give us the freedom to select what we want to do, how, and where. Now, it's time to go to my playroom and sew/ quilt/ pet fabric!