Thread: Machine advice
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 08:41 AM
Iceblossom

I was recently gifted a modern but used Bernina by a friend who loves Berninas but who did not click with that machine she replaced it with a 770 which she loves. She also has separate embroidery machines so deliberately did not get the embroidery module.

There are some drawbacks and issues to consider. Bernina is very proprietary (which also translates into expensive), feet or other accessories typically don't transfer from machine to machine. Recently I've been looking at bobbin threads, the machine I have has a proprietary large bobbin and I can't use prewounds. For example I wanted to try Glide thread but have only seen it as a prewound bobbin (bought a cone of Superior Sew Fine instead). I'd look into your model and see if you can get prewound bobbins -- you go through a ton of them doing embroidery and usually they run out at the worst possible time.

If $600 is a serious but not huge hit to your budget, I'd say go for it. I think most people learn a lot from their first embroidery machine in what they want in their next machine! Whether it is a space or specific patterns/designer downloads or whatever.