View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Iceblossom

The geckos are simply ironed on with fusible interfacing and cut from the fabric. It was most likely a Hoffman or SSI, there were some other prints in the line including turtles.

I made a design decision to not applique them down, gradually as time and washing happens they will be set free from the quilt and out into the world -- I think they will leave a trace behind when they go.

I have given away my remaining pieces of that fabric, but gosh it will remain a favorite in my heart

I didn't get that top done in time for my son (had the fabric but it didn't get pieced until he was over 20 and moved out), but my grandson was just born in September -- so the goal is to have it for him by the time he is in first grade. I think I have come to a solution for how to quilt the bug jars, I'm going to make some general shapes but making sure they have the correct number of body parts, so there will be a standard spider, dragonfly, bee, frog, etc. that will be outlined into the correct jar for the type of bug. The background will be a fairly tight stipple, to look like textured wall basically.

My current project is using up some squares that were given to me from about the same time period (Y2K roughly), lots of bug prints and other bright juvenile subject matter. So much fun. I should go into the sewing room and do about 30 minutes of seams on that project, and then I need to cut some more fabrics and I'm going back into my bug collection to do so!