Old 09-24-2019, 06:13 AM
mkc

I bought a Janome back in 2012 when my Bernina 180 failed. I then bought an Elna (a Janome twin) for my travel machine.

I have never had a bit of trouble with either of the new machines. Were the stitches on the 180 a bit better? Maybe. And certainly the feet were works of machining art. But they also cost a lot more for equivalent functionality (both machines and feet, especially machines.)

Something to think about - if you quilt or embroider often, you may want 2 separate machines. Either project can tie up a machine for a while (particularly embroidery), and while 9 mm stitch capability is super for embroidery, quilting is often best-served by a good straight-stitch machine. You might also find that a dedicated embroidery machine (embroidery-only) plus a good midrange non-embroidery machine (and certainly a straight-stitch-only machine like a Juki TL2010) for quilting a much cheaper than buying one highly-complicated combo machine. Brother/Babylock/Janome sell some good options for embroidery-only.

Also with the new models that are coming out now, there are going to be some good options in gently used machines at your dealers. Definitely consider those! The kinks (for the most part) will have been worked out (if there were any), and with some folks always wanting the latest and greatest, there will be some fairly new models traded in.

Michelle