Thread: Quilting frame
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 10:35 PM
Gay

I'm a little surprised no-one has replied to your post, but I'll give my thoughts. After using an 18" machine on the larger frame, I am not impressed with these small offerings, unless you only want to make 3 or 4 ft wide quilts. I do not like the extra bulk of the leaders and clamps, and haven't seen a tute of how to handle a large quilt when half done. Of course you could make a QS in 3 or 4 sections and join after quilting. You can buy 6 ft frames if you can't fit in an 8 or 10, pre-loved is not so expensive.

Also, with normal domestic machines there is not much room to sew when you have 5ft of quilt (with batting) rolled up in the throat area. If you began with an 8" throat, you will likely only have only 3" left to quilt on nearing the end. I know there are those who like these smaller frames, but my bet is you will eventually want to get a machine with a longer throat and a larger frame.

It's just my opinion. Leah Day has a couple of videos, move them on to half way to see a few problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFJ-cYvNiI0

Welcome to the Board.