View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 06:41 AM
Iceblossom

Fun that this thread was brought back up, over the course of the last year I've had to put together "collections of fabrics that could be used together" but which I'm not calling or considering kits because I don't want the pressure of UFOs on my feeble little mind. Since this thread was started I did complete the top and pieced back of the postcard quilt, but it isn't quilted down yet. Not even sure how I will... but the binding is made and I've started to give away the excess collected theme fabric.

I have finished several projects that needed quilting, and I've made several complete tops including a comfort quilt for my BFF who had a lumpectomy. That was about a 2-week turnaround, I can move when I'm prodded!

My Farm/Harvest/Paper Pieced quilt is still in progress. It has moved up to having its box of fabric next to the sewing table to nag me. I've cleared out my room/table so I can work on it. I just haven't quite worked on it yet

I still have two other projects kitted out but not cut to work on, my Snowflake/Lonestar Sampler for January for me, and the Christmas String project also for me.

I have so much fabric and so much potential that sometimes was killed by trying to go into the fabric and make decisions. So I allocated a box for my "slice and dice" projects, the things I do to keep busy and which are mostly donations. Now instead of going into 20 boxes for a new project, I can look in one box and choose something to work with, even if I do need to pull a few more pieces.

My current two projects I didn't even have in mind when this thread was made, they will both be for donation. I was given a large box of precut squares and have been doing things with them. One is a juvenile/novelty print top, the other is all metallic embellished fabric I'm calling "Scrap Metal". The juvenile top will be quilted down eventually, it will be twin sized which is a little larger than what I like to quilt on my domestic machine but I can do it. I'm not used to working with precut squares and it took me a bit to fully get a swing with what I'm doing (no pattern, just a picture for inspiration), but I just have to cut a few more squares down into sashing rectangles and will soon have enough progress for a picture. Don't know if the Scrap Metal top will ever be quilted, but it will be fun to work on.

I'm growing more and more comfortable with the idea that I'm not going to quilt down every top I make. I'm ok with that, it's the playing with fabric that I enjoy.