Thread: Bread machines
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 05:18 AM
KalamaQuilts

I had one for 25 years, bought in the 80's. When it finally died I did a lot of review research and replaced it with one from Sears with good reviews thinking the technology would have advanced. No. Still works best for raising the dough, still bakes better using the oven.

when I remember to get it started the day before I like to add poolish or biga fermenter to my dough. Not quite a sourdough starter, but adds nice texture and bready flavor. I have three bread recipe books I've used a lot, particularly the european style breads, so many many options beside plain white bread! That was pre-computer.

Good fresh yeast is a key component. I get mine from Bob's Red Mill. Not a fan of 100% whole grain breads, too heavy for my taste, but if following my all purpose recipe (the one on the side of Bob's Red Mill bread flour) I will substitute 1 cup of white flour for a cup of spelt flour etc.

I have little loaf pans, big ones, glass and metal, a clay one, a big tile for flat baking...it can really become a fun hobby, or just a easy put it in let it bake, no preservatives added part of home.

Keep us posted.

a lot of appliances don't even come with paper manuals anymore, check the makers site, there may be one you can download.

edited to add: when I use a recipe I always make pencil notes on the side for flour substitutions and outcome.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 09-29-2019 at 05:21 AM.