View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 10:48 AM
themadpatter

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I've been stitching up knee patches for 50+ years and never once crossed my mind to undo that straight leg seam.
Thank you
I know how you feel! Once I got that idea I felt like I had reinvented fire, lol. It really does make it sooo much easier, I never even bother trying the smooshing down from the top way anymore. I do have zigzag machines to take care of redoing the serged part of the seam. I have a serger, too, but it is such a pest. I think it needs a new tension assembly for one of the loopers. (And after having this problem for literally years, I just this minute thought about trading the tension dial with one of the needles. Boy, am I slow sometimes!)

Thanks for this question 066logger, or I never would have had that brainstorm, lol. My DH makes the same kind of holes in his pants that you do, so I know what you are talking about. I have a stash of denim taken from old jeans that I use for patches on his pants. The other hints I have are to use children's washable glue stick or a fusible web like Heat n Bond Lite to attach the patch before sewing it. Press the patch to dry the glue stick first, its a quilter's trick called glue basting. Also, it must be a sewable fusible web! That's why Lite is red, because it is imperative. You could also use one that washes out after you patch them, but you don't need to get that fancy. even if the patch were a little stiff, I doubt you'd notice it, or care if you did. DH is basically a farmer, and he only Lets me patch his, he doesn't Make Me, lol. I swear he'd wear rags if I weren't around.