Thread: Bread machines
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 09:22 PM
Tothill

I do not have space for a single use appliance in my kitchen. However I have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and it is great for mixing and kneading dough. We use it weekly to make Pizza dough. My son has the dough recipes down to a science now.

Yes, the mixer take sup lots of space, but I can use it for bread, cookies, cakes, whipping cream or egg whites. I have pasta rollers, meat grinder and other attachments for it. It gets used at least twice a week.

My step Mum used to use a bread maker as she could not longer manage kneading the dough. She baked in her machine too. It sits unused for 5 years now. Maybe one day I will try it out at the cottage, but I would not bring it home.

My grandmother taught me to bake bread using a Cash and Mason bowl, a wooden spoon and everything was measured by feel. I learnt to test the temp of the water on my wrist, to get a feel for how much flour to add, when stirring or kneading the dough. Her best bread had oatmeal and molasses in it. I loved that bread, toasted, then with sharp cheddar broiled on top. Yum a childhood treat.

Actually the best treat was the heel of the bread as soon as it was cool enough to slice, slathered with butter.