View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 06:09 AM
AprilM

From what you have said, I believe that what you want to look into would be some type of Commercial Liability policy. Your insurance agent should be able to direct you to that resource if he/she does not currently have an accessible market for that type of coverage. It shouldn’t be expensive as someone here has already said. From what i know about it, the coverage premium is tiered to the risk - so a group of quilters most certainly does not constitute the same risk as say, a demolition/explosives expert 😘 LOL!

Our guild hasn’t yet been asked to comply with this requirement, but i’m sure it’s on the horizon. We meet once a month in a small community center and book our lease a year in advance. Our lease renews in December and we are already in discussion with guild membership regarding a probably overdue increase in membership dues to cover an anticipated increase in our yearly lease at the facility. Our current membership in about 30 to 40 quilters and we are always pursuing new members, however we are in a very rural community. It is doubtful that anyone will be contentious regarding a proposed increase in dues, but with a majority of our membership on a retirement income that increase will affect some more than others. At some point we may need to look into moving our monthly meeting elsewhere.

It’s an inescapable reality that expenses go up. Our guild used to put on a quilt show every year, due to expense we moved to every other year. A few years ago we decided to suspend quilt show planning for the foreseeable future. Between all of the customary/regular expenses necessary to put on a show and the additional state/county/local compliance issues we just couldnt justify it as a guild for now. We are hopeful that we can resume quilt shows again sometime in the future.

Once upon a time between charging a nominal admission at the door and ticket sales for a raffle quilt we could at least break even on a quilt show. We are a frugal bunch and we were thrilled with that! On the subject of a raffle quilt to help defray the costs of a quilt show... Did you know that depending on where you live - if you hold a raffle - then you need a separate license? Yep - so no more raffle quilt.

It’s kinda sad, but with membership in some guilds declining and expenses and other requirements increasing it can be difficult to keep functioning in the same form we are accustomed to. But, maybe the situation will cause us to make alternate arrangements we may not have previously considered. Who knows, maybe some small guilds will evolve to less of a “meeting” model and more of a “doing” model than previously has been the case? I for one would not be likely to object to a less formal meeting format, but thats just me. Some guilds may merge. But in any case we still need to consider certain basic costs of a place to meet and expenses like insurance, etc.