View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Tothill

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
Most vegetables need to be blanched for at least 5 minutes before freezing to keep their texture and flavor after defrosting. This holds true with spaghetti squash and zucchini and green beans too. If I am shredding zucchini that I will use in breads at a later date I don't always blanch it though.
Blanching when freezing uncooked veggies. I believe IR is planning to freeze it after it has been cooked.

If you have a cool place to store it, it will keep for 3 months or more. I grew it this year, I washed all the squash with a very mild bleach solution, then cure them in a warm room for a week or so. Next store them in a cool dark area. Once person I know wraps them in newspaper, others put them on a paper covered rack.

I planted them at the last minute in June and could only find seeds for the larger squash. Next year I will buy my seeds earlier and get the smaller ones. Best thing I did to was put a frame around the plants for it to grow up and over. Kept the squash off the ground while they were growing.