View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 01:19 PM
SueZQ from MN

I did craft shows for over 25 years, and the most important advise I can give you is "Don't sell what everyone else is selling!" All you are doing is competing with them for the customer's dollars. People are always looking for small gift exchange or stocking stuffer items that are under $5.00, so you are on the right track. If you crochet, dishcloths, scrubbies, and jar grippers with crochet borders will fly out of your booth. Buyers are looking for something that looks well done and professional. This is not the time to get rid of all that ugly fabric you have had for years and hate. The fabric doesn't always have to be expensive, just colorful and fitting to the project you choose. I agree that cat and dog prints are winners. I always sold hundreds of tissue cases and nail file holders made with novelty prints. People have all sorts of hobbies and interests, so appeal to their tastes. Eyeglass cases are easy to make, lightweight to carry to a show, and don't use a lot of fabric, so that small quilt square you made for practice might work out just fine. If you are making teacher gift items, avoid apple prints, they already have a ton of that! Remember that teachers are people with lives and hobbies outside the classroom.
Be sure that your merchandise is displayed in a way that makes buyers notice it, like small items in a fancy basket or colorful plastic bowl; hair scrunchies slid over the handle of a plunger; Hershey nugget purses displayed, as someone else suggested, on a cake stand to raise them up off the table. Put signs on everything showing the price so people don't have to ask.
The subject of pricing is very difficult because, to be honest, you will never get paid what you want for your labor. If you add your hourly rate of pay to your items you will price yourself out of the market. Most people do not do craft shows and bazaars for living, it is a labor of love that allows us to do what we enjoy, and make a little money at it to buy more fabric or that new machine we are lusting after but don't feel we can afford. I made good money doing shows, but I didn't rely on it for my house payment!! haha
It is hard to know how much merchandise you will need. The first customer may love what you have and want to buy 10 for all of her gift giving needs, and you might not sell another one. (Ask me how I know that?) Consider the time you have for the sale and your customer base. Do you think you can sell 10, 20, 50 of an item in 3 hours? These are probably people from your community and you can easily fill special orders for them if you want to, so maybe you don't need to make too any of an item if you are unsure about it. Frankly, how much to make is one of the most difficult decisions you have to make when doing shows.
With reference to bringing a microwave to a show, there are a few things to consider: 1) Do you really have room for it on your table? It will take up valuable space. 2) Will you even be able to plug it in? Many places do not have the outlets available to allow such a thing and extension cords are dangerous to navigate around. 3) Will you be charged an additional fee for electricity? 4) Can you physically carry it in? In my opinion, unless everything you are selling relates to or uses a microwave, it takes up too much space that could be used for saleable items.
My last comment regards selling itself. Do not try to oversell your items. People know what they are interested in or are looking for and pushing yourself and your merchandise on them will just turn them off. Greet your customers, smile at them, answer their questions, and let them look at what you have. Lastly, look like you are enjoying yourself, smile and have a good time. This isn't life and death, it is a 3 hour school bazaar that will allow you to see if these kinds of shows are for you. Ask anyone that has done shows, and if they are honest, they will tell you that they weren't all successes, but they are all earning experiences. Sorry that this post is so long. If you have any questions, pm me and I will try and help you in any way I can. Good Luck!!