View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 03:47 AM
Iceblossom

For some of us sadly a magnifying glass or readers is not enough correction and the lack of depth perception is key. For me, it just makes blurry stuff bigger but not clearer. I know it's hard to understand but I really can't tell where my thread is in relation to the needle, it's not just seeing the eye of the needle. I have to do a lot of things by feel in my normal life. As I progress with my vision loss I'm having to add in more and more "adaptive" techniques and looking into options I will have to use in the future as my vision continues to deteriorate.

I've always been a big fan of the right tool for the right job. I'm having more and more of a hard time reading rulers and will design blocks to finish at ruler sizes so I can trim them well. I have to use tape lines on my rulers or I make a lot of templates or what I call "snubs" (a snub is a template that shows where to cut off, versus a template that shows what you keep).

While I'm using the same needle on the long arm or my vintage machine, I did do the tie a little knot and draw the thread through. Doesn't help that much when you change needles as often as I do.

I don't know how much time I have left to quilt, I can't really see stitches any more. I have a terrible time if I have to take anything out, so I try to do it right or am prepared to do it again. Mostly I scrap quilt so I don't match thread colors anyway and I use a light tan and light grey threads so I can hope to see them. This past year I've had more and more problems working with black fabric, can't really see if it's lined up. I know my best work is behind me but I am intent on keeping on quilting as long as I can. I think I have about 5 more years so I'm not terribly worried if I have unfinished tops, I'm more worried that I have unfinished things I want to do.