Thread: marking a quilt
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 01:33 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

For marking light fabric I use the water soluble blue pens like mark b gone more than anything else. The trick to these pens is to test, don't expose to heat and don't leave on the quilt too long (like months and months). Also the ink from these pens is never truly gone until the quilt has been completely submerged in water. The do disappear with spritzing but can come back because spritzing only disolves the ink down into the batting as the batting drys from the spritzing the marks can return or bleeds of blue ink can show up. Never had a problem once the quilt was laundered. First wash no soap. Soaps can react with the inks. I have also had great luck with crayola ultra washable markers. Again, test on the actual fabric you are using. Especially if the fabric has not been prewashed as factory sizing can impact how the ink reacts and can also affect how it washes out. I have ironed over the Crayola and it still washes out. These two are my go-tos for marking light fabrics. I use chalk on dark fabrics as well as the ceramic lead mechanical pencils like the Bohin one. They do make a darker lead for those but I have never tried it. But I have had those marks rub out before I got to quilting them. I could see the line faintly and it was enough to remark as I went but frustrating. There are so many options you just have to test things to see what works well for you and something that you had great success with before, may not work as well the next time, that is why you need to always test.