View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 04:14 AM
AprilM

So excited for you, origamigoldfish!!!

On the subject of a place to iron... i was shocked that i didnt have to buy a thing when i finally got to putting my room together. I already had a “big board” which i was using on top of my regular ironing board. That was a pretty wobbly situation which i only used when i needed to iron yardage - then it was stored behind the door to my sewing room. Not exactly an ideal situation but it worked.

When i started pulling all of those storage tubs outta the closet that i bought in the late 90’s, i realized that i bought 2 of each size. Hmmm... i stacked 3 up and found that to be the perfect height for some kind of table. But then... i wondered - could this be the birth of my ironing station? It was! The Big Board had rails on the underside to keep it from sliding off the ironing board, so i positioned the outter most ends of the two stacks of storage tubs so that the rails could easily slide forward/backward if needed, but still remain in one place unless you wanted to move it. Once that was done i realized that i had just enough room in the center underneath to stack my Super Satchels! What a glorious day and i didnt even spend any money! 😊

From that point the Happy Place just took on a life of its own! I rummaged around in the tubs and found the purple/blue/pink batik yardage that i had been hoarding since the late 90’s for such an occasion! After a lot of anxious measuring and plotting and planning 🥴 i realized that i had just enough fabric to make a matching washable cover for the big board and also valances for two windows with just a little leftover! The really cool part (for me) was also that fabric was used in my first and only blue ribbon wallhanging of a goldfinch on a thistle! At that point the light was green and everything just came together 😊 my husband found somebody to paint my room and by the time the paint dried, the ironing board cover and the valances were completed! I finally had my Happy Place! Machines, work tables, etc just went together after that!

Here is a little better photo of my ironing station showing the storage tubs doing double duty! If i need something in the tubs i just lift off the board. If i need to iron yardage, i just slide the board forward and allow the unironed fabric to fall to the floor in back while i iron and pull more fabric to the front as i go. Behind the tubs i have a storage between the back of the tubs and the wall where i keep a huge quilting “go bag” and other larger items out of sight. The power strip in plugged into the outlet behind the table and pulled to the front.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]618531[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 672357d7-7a9f-4112-9978-678a5bcf18e4.jpeg