View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 06:36 AM
Iceblossom

Default Tape -- My Secret Quilting Weapon

In my list of "sewing supplies I can't live without" is tape of various sorts but mostly blue painter's tape and masking tape. I used wide blue tape to attach my backings to the long arm or to tighten up fabric on a table. I've used it for labels. I wrap it around my used blades or bent pins or whatever for safe disposal. There is always some in my sewing case.

This isn't a new hint, but it is one where I use tape, in this case I also have a roll of 1/4" tape in my kit and here I'm using it to mark my ruler. I have vision issues anyway and sometimes use the tape to reinforce where I want to cut, say if I need a .75" measurement, easier for me to see the tape than the narrow lines especially on busy fabrics. For me I always have the top of the tape as my measurement, all that really matters is consistency.

I will often design blocks so that they end in standard ruler measurements, in this case I was dealing with 6" squares that I sliced along the diagonal to make a 7.5" (cut, 7" finished) quarter square block. I used up the 6" squares and am now using 6.5" so I have more to trim, I like to make large and trim down for accuracy anyway. With a simple swipe of removable tape, I now have a 7.5" consistent cut, and you can see how marking the opposite angle can help true-up the block.
Attached Thumbnails 100_5216.jpg