View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 11:32 AM
Peckish

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
Thanks Pegg, as I said I just loved your quilt. I ended up ordering the Creative Grid ruler but debated and still am debating doing your pattern. First I'm going to tackle one with the creative grid ruler. The reason I like that is to avoid the hassle of ripping all those papers. The reason I liked the pattern you worked on, is because those narrow logs are just so appealing to look at in the finished quilt.
Understandable. Would it help if I told you I didn't rip a single piece of paper?

I use the fold-and-sew method of paper piecing. I put a dab of glue stick on the first patch and attach it to the paper. I use a very thin straight edge, such as a razor or thin cardstock, align it on the line I'm to sew next, and fold right on the printed line. (You don't want to use a ruler here because rulers are thick.) Use my add-a-quarter ruler to trim the excess fabric. Line up the next patch with the raw edge of the previous patch and sew right next to the fold I just made. Unfold the paper, press the patch, and voila, you have your next log sewn and no paper to tear. If the block becomes too big, just apply another dab of glue stick in another spot. Once the block is done, you can peel it off and reuse on the next block.

Notes: Some people use freezer paper because you can iron it on instead of using glue stick. This is fine and just a matter of personal preference. I like to use vellum because it's somewhat translucent, so I can easily see the line I'm folding on.