Thread: Class problems
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 04:12 AM
AprilM

All of this is normal... we are all “wired” differently as someone said - we are individuals who learn and work in many different ways. Its just important for each of us to figure out what works for us and not be hesitant about being us wherever we are.

I started quilting in 1995 knowing nothing. Period. My LQS owner (bless her heart) took me under her wing, guiding me with beginner projects that i could accomplish on my own then bring back to the shop at certain points for review by non-critical but constructive eyes. She encouraged me to check out the local guild - very intimidating for me especially having been exposed to a snooty few as i frequented the LQS. but at least i had been exposed to the reality ahead of time so i could sufficiently protect my little newbie feelings. I met some kindred spirits, took some classes... but i was always pretty much the last one done (if at all) even as my skills progressed.

At some point the lightbulb just kinda went on for me. I am a “process” person. My enjoyment of quilting is the putzing around maybe on a single block (yes, maybe even all day sewing with friends)! For me i want to enjoy and immerse myself in every part - enjoying looking at the colors, improving some skill at my own pace, getting excited when those first blocks somehow magically appear on the design wall (no thanks to me sometimes!). So my only goal is definitely not just getting the quilt done and once i realized that and just let myself enjoy where i was at it was really liberating! My skills have grown so much since i started quilting (thank goodness) but more importantly for me is the joy i experience just doing my thing. I finish a lot of quilts these days but on nobodys schedule but my own. I purposely dont put myself on deadlines - quilting is my “happy place” - so ok, i know how to turn that baby quilt into something maybe a little larger if time marches by and its not done!

I dont go to many classes these days but i do take online instruction. By the way i was also a teacher at my LQS for many years... and saw many people just like me who maybe werent so goal oriented and encouraged them to build their skills slowly on an as needed basis and let their joy and feeling of accomplishment motivate them.