View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 07:37 AM
Rhonda K

Your skills are what I call foundation skills. You need to start out with good habits to get good results. I'm am with you on checking and rechecking techniques. I use the same 1/4 inch foot for piecing and try my best to always hit that target. I never stitch scant seams. Never.

Fabrics are always starched and pressed before attempting any cutting.

I also match the direction of strips for binding. Meaning the left edge of selvage goes on the next strip at the left edge. Seams all go in the same 45 degree angle across the pieced strips. This morning I pieced binding fabric with fish and octopus. The little critters are all upright for now. They will be upside down at some point when stitched on the quilt.

These strips will make a flange binding and the corners will be on a 45 degree angle as best as possible.

I also square up units to make a block as needed. A unit that is a little skewed can become a big skew at the end of the line.

Small details do count. I'm starting to hear compliments on my projects from others so something is working in my quilting world.

Happy Stitching!