Thread: Ikea Quality?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 08:28 AM
Tothill

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I need some storage units, shelves, cabinets ect. I love our home, but it has no storage! We haven't been really able to unpack all our boxes after we moved last year and I'm sick of packing boxes in my living room. I would love to have them gone by Thanksgiving! (Rant over!)

I was looking at Ikea online and their products have affordable prices, but I'm wondering how is the quality. I don't want anything made from matchstickes. Has anyone here bought Ikea products and are you pleased with it? I would love to hear the good and the bad!
I have two Billy book cases that were bought at Ikea over 30 years ago. The white surface is looking a bit dingy, but they are as solid as the day we assembled them. I have Pax Wardrobes for about 10 years and I love how I can reconfigure them to meet my current needs. We had 6 folding chairs in the cottage about in 1989 that have recently developed cracks in the seat backs. Two are still in good shape. The cottage is a rental, so they have seen lots of use and abuse.

More recently I bought a unfinished pine shelf. I cannot remember the name of it, but it is not Ivor. I painted it and it perfectly fits two Iris scrap booking cases side by side on the shelves. My son has a modular desk and drawers that is holding up well after 5 years.

I have not found that their "office' chairs are sturdy enough for all day use. The bolts get loose and eventually the threads strip. I will not buy one again.

I have a kitchen sink unit and the sink from Ikea that are about 15 years old, no issues.

We had a dresser in the cottage that after 30 years, the drawers needed repairs. I got tired of repairing it 2 years ago and replaces it with another one.

We have the older version of Kallix cube shelves that are great. I bought some to make a new cutting table. It is on the project list.

We put Ikea butcher block counter tops in Dad's house. That was a mistake, as he is incapable of keeping them clean and oiled. They no longer sell that type. There were 100% solid wood.

My brother and his wife put an Ikea kitchen into their home. They had a cabinet maker face the cabinets, so they are 'custom'.