View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 06:25 AM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
I feel like I've won the lottery when I measure a completed quilt or table runner and discover the finished dimensions are those shown in the pattern. Yes! I did it! And 4 years ago, it would have been a different story. Accuracy and precision is important to me. Unfortunately, I stink at choosing fabrics that go well together which is a real bummer. All the accuracy in the world doesn't help if the finished product is "blah". So I'm working on color and value now.
What techniques are you using to work on color and value? When I first started working with fabric, "collections" of fabrics were limited to just a few different fabrics. With the use of jelly rolls, layer cakes, and charm packs the work is done for you, which has it's advantages, but doesn't help one to learn how to mix and match fabrics. I know I learned a great deal when doing controlled scrappy blocks. A nine patch, hole in the barn door, or shoo fly are good examples of blocks to use. Make several like blocks using your scraps to get a feel of coordinating fabrics within a block...mix up your fabrics and don't take from the same collections. Then sort your blocks to see which ones fit with each other. However you work on color and value have fun with it!