Old 11-09-2019, 06:14 AM
Rocketeer

Default Singer 500A "Rocketeer" complete restoration

Hi everyone,
I thought you might like to see photos from my complete restoration of a Singer 500A. It's just such a gorgeous machine. I'm pretty sure it was sitting in a portable case for many decades, out of the light and safe from moisture, before it came to me.
I knew it would at least need heavy lubrication and cleaning, but when I discovered the YouTube channel AndyTube, with its encyclopedic library of Singer restoration and maintenance videos, I was inspired to do a complete teardown and overhaul.
(AndyTube link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUS...tRoz1VA2U1xJ4w)

Here is "Bernadette" in the Singer Spinet "trapezoid" case that I previously posted about, having modified it to be able to accept a 500A (it was designed for a 301).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619466[/ATTACH]

The four motors I had to choose from. One came out of my machine, another from another machine (the backup!), and the remaining two from separate purchases.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619467[/ATTACH]

Total teardown of the PA 10-8 motor, including removing (driving out violently!) the commutator shaft from the bearing housed in the aluminum casing at right.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619468[/ATTACH]

Pressure-fitting the new bearing onto the commutator shaft, with thanks to Neighbor Dave for the use of the pipe clamps, without which I would have had to locate a hydraulic press somewhere!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619469[/ATTACH]

The vibrating bracket assembly completely disassembled -- this is what swings the needle for zig-zags and patterns.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619470[/ATTACH]

The needle bar driving arm rubber-banded in place along with the rest of the pattern selector assembly, missing the cam stack
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619471[/ATTACH]

The pattern selector assembly parts removed -- this was the part that made me the most nervous.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619472[/ATTACH]

Washing day! Literally in the sink with grease remover and water, followed by chasing rust, drying, grease, then oil.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619473[/ATTACH]

All 186 removed parts arranged roughly geographically; they were otherwise stored by groups in plastic zipper bags to keep them organized.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]619474[/ATTACH]

It was quite an adventure, and now (I promise) all the parts are back where they should be, lubricated properly, and singing beautifully! I couldn't have done it without Andy!

Cheers,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails 101.jpg   110.jpg   111.jpg   112.jpg   120.jpg  

121.jpg   122.jpg   130.jpg   140.jpg  

Last edited by Rocketeer; 11-09-2019 at 06:18 AM.