View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 06:36 AM
AprilM

Thank you for all the encouragement and great ideas everybody!!! I just measured it and its kind of a disappointing 35 1/2” x 52” (i did plan to square up the top and bottom just cuz i dont wanna go through binding the zigzag!).

So... i guess unless i figure out something drastic i havent considered yet, it will be just a wallhanging. I tend to shy away from adding borders “just to make it bigger” if the addition doesnt really add to the overall effect of the quilt. For some reason i always think of that on the order of “lets have a quilt show just so we can have vendors”! Yep, i have said that facetiously cuz a quilt show is so much work (we have a small guild) - i vote for a shop hop or getting together a bus load of guild members and attending another large guild’s show instead!

I’m glad RhondaK asked about the size of the quilt because i honestly hadnt dared to measure it until this morning! Hmmmm... kinda puny - you would have thought with all that work it would have amounted to something larger! But then, maybe if i just make a decision to tell myself it’s ok for it to be a wallhanging instead of the actual quilt i had planned then it will be a little easier for me to think a little more creatively! What would you do (besides bothering to measure it a long time ago!)???

It has been forever since i started this project. This morning when i went to measure the quilt i realized exactly how much leftover yardage of the “mother” fabric i had - so yes, my intent was actually to make it bigger (which means making a lot more blocks and i swore i wouldnt do that). And i could - but i probably wont - cuz i think i really am ready to “put some lipstick on this pig and move on”! Hey, i live in Iowa - and although i dont farm, its part of the vernacular!

So, in light of the now known fact of the size... would you handle the finish differently knowing it will probably live on a wall (in front of God and everybody) as opposed to living out its life in relative obscurity resting in peace on a bed in the guest bedroom?