View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 08:34 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AprilM View Post
Thank you for all the encouragement and great ideas everybody!!! I just measured it and its kind of a disappointing 35 1/2” x 52” (i did plan to square up the top and bottom just cuz i dont wanna go through binding the zigzag!).

So... i guess unless i figure out something drastic i havent considered yet, it will be just a wallhanging. I tend to shy away from adding borders “just to make it bigger” if the addition doesnt really add to the overall effect of the quilt.............
I'm totally with you on the "not adding borders just to make it bigger" front.
Sometimes borders work and make sense... and sometimes they can destroy what is a nice quilt.

While you are disappointed in the size ... do you have a wall that this could fit on?

About the zig-zag binding issue ... you could somewhat deal with that by adding "blackish" tris to the bottom, in the same manner as your kaleido hexies were done. Then chop off the excess for a straight edge to bind. I'd then go for a wide binding all round (1-1/2"-2"?) which would then give you a nice "frame" to show off this amazing piece.

To explain "blackish" ... dark brown, dark green or even black. Not seeing it IRL, it's hard to know what would be best, but the concept I am going for is "reads black", so that the colours of the quilt can float above, yet the dark only frames and somewhat disappears from the viewers vision and not compete with the OBW.

Good Luck!

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-10-2019 at 08:43 AM.