View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 04:42 AM
SuzzyQ

My MIL always did her meat and poultry (stuffed) at 250 either all day or overnight - usually about 10 - 12 hours. And no - no one ever became sick - that she knew of.
My mom struggled to cook chicken or turkey to her satisfaction but I remember it as great!
Apparently my grandma used to cook several "roosters" or hens at the end of their egg laying days by giving them a good coat of flour, salt and pepper and roasting them overnight in a tightly covered roast with an inch or so of water in the bottom in "low" oven - and they were wonderful as well.
So now I sprinkle the bottom of the roaster with flour, start my fowl in high heat till I can smell the roasting bird, then turn the heat down and cover it tightly. Takes about an extra hour if you are figuring 30 minutes per lb - just because I like my chicken done till it falls off the bone. And I'm not afraid to cook it ahead - I take it apart and layer it in a casserole or the roaster, cover it with the skin and chill very well. The drippings are set aside and chilled as well. Then about two hours before I want it, I melt the fat off the drippings and pour over everything, cover it tightly and then heat at 275 - 300. I might also add about a quarter cup of stock to it as well. The fat goes back into the meat and it is so-o-o good. I also use the bones to make more broth so I can have lots of gravy and for stock to add to the dressing which I like to do in either the oven or a slow cooker.