Old 11-13-2019, 11:26 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Hi and welcome to the board!
Pleats (where the fabric folds over on itself) and puckers are definitely the result of not having a walking foot. You can buy generic walking feet pretty inexpensively, probably cheaper than renting time on a shop machine. You just need to know if your sewing machine is high shank or low shank.

As far as ripping out what you have done, the puckers and pleats will not affect the quilt's performance, only its aesthetic appeal. Many of these offending puckers won't be noticeable after washing. If you do your first wash in hot water and dry in a dryer, the shrinkage will make lots of puckers like an antique quilt and camouflage the ones caused by the drag of no walking foot. Especially if you used a cotton batting and did not prewash your fabrics. Only you can make that decision if you can live with the quilt as is or it will make you unhappy every time you look at it. If the latter, definitely rip and requilt. One of my most favorite quilts and definitely most used quilts has a wicked bad pleat on the back but I don't notice it and it doesn't bother me so I never ripped out the quilting to fix it and probably never will.