View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 01:12 PM
platyhiker

I am a dedicated pinner. I think a big part of this is that I learned garment sewing first (in the 1980s), and pinning was standard there. I've seen plenty of videos of people feeding things through their sewing machines without pinning and getting good results, but I've tried it myself and not been entirely happy with the results. I really like having my intersections and points to "spot on", and I've found pins are a huge help here. At really critical points, I will put a pin through the exact point and will use the hand wheel to get the needle in the right spot before removing the pin.

I'm currently working on a project with small pieces, and I still pin - I'm joining 1.5" HSTs to 1.5" plain squares, and I will put two pins in them. I really like not having to worry about one piece sliding sideways relative to the other piece. With pins, I can focus on simply steering the fabric through with an accurate seam allowance, which is more enjoyable to me.

I even pin when piecing long strips together, since a regular foot is apt to feed the bottom piece of fabric a bit faster than the top one. I figure pinning will help prevent the strip set from getting bowed.

I make a point of placing my pins so that the tips are pointing to the left as I sew so that I can easily remove them with my right hand as they get close to the needle.

I've been meaning to try glue, but have not done so yet. I suspect I will enjoy it when I do.