Old 11-19-2019, 12:26 PM
mmdonnelly

Default Need help - turned applique is showing seams thru the front

Hi

I am hoping someone can tell how me how to solve this. I did applique once as part of a challenge and now I am trying it on another quilt that I am making from scratch (no pattern). In the challenge we used Heat & Bond, but I wasn't so good as stitching down the edges. Since this quilt isn't going to be washed, I thought I would try the turned edge method. I watched many videos and practiced on a sample. My final fabric which is Joann's solid color broadcloth, treated with Bubble Jet since I printed on it (also my first time using the Bubble Jet but that part seemed to go well, just not sure that has an effect). When turning under I used Niagara starch to press the seams, using a freezer paper template. The applique shaped is just a circle, but that means those folded under seams are excessive underneath. I thought the seams were showing thru a bit the front, but might be OK when I added the shape to the background. I didn't want to sew to the background, so I used the Heat & Bond. When I ironed the Heat & Bond to the finished circle, it looks horrible. The Heat & Bond just enhanced all those little wrinkles in the underneath seams. I don't think this piece is usable now.

So, does Heat & Bond not go well with turned under seams? Did the Bubble Jet or the Niagara contribute to the issue? What do you suggest I do to get a nice circle? I also liked the finished look of the turned under method vs stitching over the top of my circle.

Thank you

Michele