Old 11-19-2019, 05:01 PM
mmdonnelly

Here are photos of front and back. It's hard to get a good photo of how bad the folds are showing thru the front, but those wrinkles you see are extremely noticeable in real life. As is the noticing of the folded under seam because the center of the circle is much lighter. Any fabric other than the same yellow for the background shows differently through the center where it's single thickness. It's like the fabric is too thin/transparent. I didn't notice this problem on my test sample which was different fabric (darker, stiffer). I'm also attaching a photo of the back - the transparency is a bit more noticeable in this photo. I know the folds aren't perfect, but even perfect folds would be showing the folds on the front side. This is Symphony Broadcloth from Joann's. I am thinking maybe it's just the fabric and maybe I can try a white cotton circle as a liner between the front and the folded under edge (like a lining)?

I used the Heat & Bond after I folded the edge under because I thought that would be easier and neater to attack to a background (with my poor stitch around the edge of an applique skill). I know it's unconventional but this is a not to be daily used/washed item, so thought would be OK.

I am also making other circles for this quilt that will be button, and was going to try the trapunto to get them to puff up a little, but figured I needed to master this one first as a regular flat applique. The rate I'm going, I don't see puffed circles happening any time soon!
Attached Thumbnails img_7489_small.jpg   img_7490_small.jpg