View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Jojk

Default Wedding Dress Quilt done

I am crazy stupid proud of this one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]620069[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]620070[/ATTACH]

The entire quilt except the back is made from her dress (satin). The blue was her back, train, and trim. The embroidery on the blue was a part of the dress. I used silk thread and wool batting.

The design was inspired by the dress and the wedding itself. The idea for embroidering the blocks was because her train was embroidered and I chose images that were reflective of the wedding.

What I did:
  1. Cut the squares larger than I wanted and embroidered the white with the wool batting and polymesh stabilizer.
  2. Trimmed the squares to size.
  3. Basted the blue on the batting.
  4. Assembled the top and added strips of wool batting under the sashing.
  5. Sandwiched the quilt with a blue broadcloth and stitched in the ditch. I also "quilted" the blue squares by running a couple stitches through different beads (if you can't tell, the white embroidery is enhanced with beading) and also reattaching beads that fell off.
  6. Did the binding with the same dress material.
  7. Used a triangle method for creating the hanging points instead of a sleeve and I put them top and bottom.
  8. Painted wooden dowels blue and put one at the top for the hanging and one at the bottom to keep the shape.
  9. Used the laces from the back of the dress to hang it.
  10. I had leftover blue material so I made a tube bag (lined with extra white satin) for safe storage.

What I would do different:
  1. Add another layer of batting so the back would be smooth. Since its a hanging quilt you can't see it of course but it would have been nicer.
  2. Trimmed the blocks differently so I would not have had to put strips of batting underneath the sashing.
  3. Done a full sleeve for hanging. I don't like the stress on the triangle points. BTW I found followed this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1PBQx6mgM
Attached Thumbnails nik_quilt.jpg   bag.jpg