Old 11-23-2019, 08:25 AM
Iceblossom

I've been pressing open since I started, so about 40 years of experience. I do have a list of reasons why I press open but basically I believe pressing to the side is a leftover from hand sewing and that with modern machines (including irons) there is no reason to do so and many reasons why not. A lot of it is what you are used to, but yes I feel pressing open is more precise when you use pins, but a lot of people do very well without any pinning.

I have no problems but I have a few hints. For one, pressing open does require a small stitch but so do modern strip piecing techniques. What I've noticed is that very few quilters I see at classes or whatever adjust their stitch length, many just turn on and go and that is almost always too long a stitch length. If you can easily pull away (not necessarily pull out but that they move) 3-4 stitches at the end of a seam, your seam length is too long.

For example, my Bernina defaults to 2.5, I dial down to 2.1 or 2.0. Yes it makes it harder to take things out and with my vision issues it is really hard and I need contrasting thread to have any chance of seeing it at all.

I've quilting directly in the ditch and never had any problems breaking the piecing threads. I use a larger needle with a larger stitch length when I'm quilting. I've never had any problems with batting coming out of my seams and
I've never had problems with my seams breaking or coming apart, the fabric in the center of the blocks wears out long before the seams do.