Old 11-23-2019, 11:42 AM
MeadowMist

Default Super scrappy quilt with a mixture of everything

My sister is asking for my help in making small memory quilts or table runners for her kids. She's a sewer but not a quilter and I'm pretty much a beginner quilter myself so we're not sure what direction to go with this. She wants to use the fabric she has saved over the years, and she has a lot of it. Problem is, is that it is a combination of everything - thick, thin, lots and lots of stretchy fabric (a good part from the old Stretch and Sew line), corduroy, shiny stuff used for princess costumes, glittery fabric, polyester, cotton, thick, thin, GI Joe type material, cabbage patch doll type material, flashy, pastels, ballerina costumes, baby material, teenage material, tiger print, curtains, Halloween customs, a bit of everything.

Any ideas as to what to do? Can all of the different fabrics be used on one quilt? She asked if she can sew a stabilizer to the stretchy material so it won't stretch - can this be done? I suggested cutting into 3" squares and using a solid color border in between to help "unify" everything but beyond that I'm not sure what direction to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.