Thread: Squash, anyone?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 03:25 PM
wildyard

I have become a fan of roasted veggies and both yellow and zucchini squash roast well. Cut into rounds or 1" cubes... give or take, I don't worry about it. If the squashes are small you can just halve them lengthwise, or quarter them. Put a small amount of oil into a plastic zip bag. Add seasonings to taste. Sometimes I do Asian with sesame oil and soy sauce and ginger. Mostly I add salt, pepper, garlic and herbs as desired. Oregano, basil, rosemary all go well.
Shake the squash in the bag till coated lightly with oil and seasonings. Spray or line a baking sheet with foil and arrange the squash in a layer. Roast at 350- 400 degrees F till veggies are browning but not mushy. Usually 20 or 25 minutes.
I also do this with a mix of veggies including mushrooms, brussel sprouts, potatoes, onions, carrots, etc. I have also added diced bite size pieces of pork, steak or chicken to the mix. I put the meat in first and let it marinate for a bit in the oil and seasonings, then add the veggies and shake it well to coat. Spread all on the baking sheet and cook as before. The meat has been cooked thru by the time the veggies are done. Make sure the meat pieces are small enough to cook thru... usually 1" or less dice.