Old 11-26-2019, 08:09 AM
Iceblossom

I started quilting before rotary cutters and back in the day we had books and pamphlets and sections in books on how to do a lot of the gridwork stuff and how to figure out the odd angles. That's partially when I gave up measure 7/8ths on triangles and started just using whole numbers and trimming down.

I loved the technique of doing multiples at once and pretty much always used it if I had 8 or more of the same sets. Nowadays I'm usually using more scraps and it doesn't work so well for me. But I love the continuous sewing, forget who said it but it is like "drawing a picture (house?) when you don't lift your pencil".

I do believe in the right tool for the right job. If you are already going to draw a grid, I guess I figure that's the hard part and I'd just keep going without a special tool, I wouldn't want to have to switch out to a different ruler than I was using for the grid.

Last time I used the technique was with these homespuns/kona cotton, made the little triangles come out nice and straight without warping.
Unfinished Quilt Stories