Old 11-26-2019, 12:17 PM
my-ty

I totally agree with you but it does take time (years) to modified the "expected" meal. Our holiday meals have changed over time. We have increased health awareness, food sensitivities, allergies and vegans/vegetarians to consider. My family knows that the dinner dishes will be my choices, not the meal they remember from their childhood and I don't want to hear any whining. My family occasionally ask, if we could have a particular dish for Thanksgiving, but know that it might or might not be made. I do keep most of the traditional food, but have incorporated different versions and added new foods too. For example, my stuffing is vegan (cooked in the crock pot with vegetable broth), no cream or cheese sauces on side dishes (milk allergy), mashed potatoes (nothing added just potatoes), salads (healthier versions with more vegetables and less dressing), roasted vegetables etc. The food disappears, we are thankful for each other and for all that we have, and enjoy the time together. For the younger ones, my Thanksgiving dinner version will be the one they fondly remember.