Old 11-29-2019, 11:18 PM
Tothill

As a Canadian we had our Thanksgiving back in October.

I figure if I am cooking the meal I can change it up any way I like. Some things are not served here, no green bean casserole or yams/sweet spuds with marshmallows at my table.

I love stuffing and often switch it up by using different types of sausage meat and breads. One year I did chorizo and cornbread stuffing. But that is just if I am cooking a turkey. I have done lamb, prime rib and seafood casserole in the past.

If I am serving turkey there will be homemade cranberry sauce. I do not served canned cranberry sauce. I remember hearing a radio story about people who love the canned jellied cranberries and the stuff has to be pushed out of the tin, so the lines are visible on the jelly. Nope not at my house.

Desserts vary too. We have some family favourites, but I switch them up at will too. For Thanksgiving my son asked for Trifle, so we had trifle. My last visit he asked for a Yule Log, even though it was Remembrance Day weekend. I switched it up and made a chocolate peanut butter one. It was pretty good.

We have two holiday traditions that I love.

Fondue dinner on Christmas Eve. cheese fondue, beef broth and chocolate fondue. Yum.

Christmas Day we have a brunch of wife savers, sausages, fresh fruit salad and bacon. I rarely cook bacon and we love the treat of having it on Christmas Day.