Thread: Y2k
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Rose_P

That's quite an amazing quilt top. I love the rainbow effect.

I'm going to side with the ones who said to find a quilter who can handle this size. I think your quilter could easily understand why you wouldn't want to have the quilting done in sections. Especially if you often let her do quilts that are appropriate for her machine. I added a row in the middle of one of my quilts, but it involved a lot of hand work to get it right. Also, you'd be joining the batting, which might or might not be a problem someday. It would be a shame to have to add a random seam anywhere on the back, and it might be hard to reseam the top just the way it should be and currently is. (I assume you were being facetious when you typed "cut" the top, which made my heart skip a beat!) Also, there's probably no seam on each side of the inner border in a place that would work for separating the halves, nor seams in the pieced border that would line up with blocks in the center area. I had to add pieces to my narrow border when I opened seams to add a row. If you still want your quilter to do it, your best bet would be to take off the two wider pieced borders (If they add up to at least 31 inches) and add them later, and maybe do the quilting on the border on a sit down machine. If they are side borders, it will be an area that gets relatively little stress when the quilt is in use, and the handwork that's involved in joining the back will hold up better there.

Your Epson is an inkjet printer if doesn't use toner. Good luck, and please show us when it's done!