View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 08:14 PM
Kassaundra

Default FPP odd shapes that fit for sure.

I made a little picture tutorial to show how adding one simple step to your FPP can help w/ sizing odd shapes to make it easier to choose just the right size and shape w/o as much waste and w/ as much accuracy as possible to reduce date night w/ Jack. First let me say I don't sew through the paper, but this will work just as well for those that do sew through the paper.

Just drew up a quick piece w/ different angles. This is a very simple unit but will work on the most complex ones as well.

Start out w/ piece one just as usual

All trimmed and ready to go

This piece obviously won't fit but it is to show an example. This is how you would line up your edges to sew on the line for adding piece 2

Flipped over you would stitch on the red dotted line, but do one simple step before you start sewing.

Flip piece 2 down on the sewing line keeping the fabric you want to sew in place now look at piece 2 (orange line) you want piece 2 to fit (with added seam allowance) completely on the added fabric, (blue line) you can see it doesn't cover the fabric, so it won't when sewn on either

Here we moved the the long ways and it completely fits in the blue line w/ seam allowance. This is good to sew, flip your piece two back in place and sew on the line if you sew through paper

See here it is sewn and pressed in place fully covered.

Trim your 1/4 inch seams and go on to 3

Again an obvious doesn't fit just for repetition. You need your folded over piece to completely fit inside the new fabric which this does not.

To be continued on the next post.