View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 06:19 AM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Yes! Congratulations!! How did d you track your inventory? I started in January but wasn’t finding it easy to track the output. Or to keep a running total of fabric bought.
I haven't gotten to the point of using a spreadsheet, but I have a handwritten list that's written in my LA notebook. Counting total of what's bought? Look at your sales receipts to keep track. And, yes, the using part is harder and a little more time consuming.
If it's a large quilt with pattern yardages one can use those figures. But I usually add up the amount of width of fabric (wof) cuts (in inches) in each quilt and divide by 36 to get yards of each fabric.
When it's smaller projects, like the pincushions I made...The base was 4.5 x 5.5" or 24.75 sq inches rounded up to 25 sq in. I used one for an inner lining, one for backing and one for the top (I didn't figure in seam allowances). So that's 3 x 25 = 75 sq in per pincushion..I made 27 x 75 = 2025 sq in. Using 1512 sq in in a sq yard (42 x 36), 2015/1512=1.33 yards.

Then it's a simple calculation of fabric bought minus fabric out...hopefully a negative number. The total amount of fabric in stash is irrelevant to the figuring. We want to reduce that amount, so no beginning inventory is required.

I hope this is clearer than mud! I think this is the third year I have done this. Like every habit it takes time, the very first year I started, but didn't keep up, so I have 2 solid years of verified stash reduction.