Old 12-10-2019, 05:32 PM
hav4boys

Just want to keep you all informed. I try to be upbeat but this has been a rough year for my family.

Let me start by saying I am going to say a "goodbye" to 2019 with great pleasure.
In 2016, after the car accident, it was determined I had ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament (OPLL). While that did not cause it, it began the symptoms. OPLL is a calcification of the soft tissues that connect the spinal bones which results in a narrowing of the spinal canal and compression of the cervical spinal cord. The cause of OPLL is unclear at this point, but we know people of Asian heritage especially Japanese have a higher likelihood of developing OPLL. We also know more men seem to be affected than women and there is a higher correlation to people with diabetes.
Over the last 6 weeks, my symptoms have become unbearable. The touch of skin on my skin makes me feel like bugs are crawling all over me. My back of my head feels like it has been hit with a bat. My feet and hands are numb, making all I love to do very hard. I had an MRI and multiple X-rays in November and a CT yesterday.
My spinal cord is being compressed. I will be having surgery that will entail me being down in a neck brace for 3 months. They have no choice but to do a posterior laminectomy and fusion of C2-T1. When Jeff asked what would be the prognosis with no surgery, and the doctor said I would end up in a wheelchair.
I am pulling up my big girl panties, and moving forward.

I know many have offered assistance, and determining when my surgery is, I may need some help with the swap. I will know better once the surgery is scheduled.

Thanks for understanding.

Kathy