View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Sephie

If you are asking if the Raw Edge Applique method (Wonder Under on the back, fuse it down, zigzag around the edges) will hold up in the wash, absolutely yes. I did my second daughter's baby quilt with this method and it's now 3 years old, been washed countless times on hot and dried in the dryer on normal heat and it's totally fine. Remember that Raw Edge will fray a tiny bit around the edges of the appliques, but with the zigzag, this is very minimal. I used a small zigzag, and a shorter stitch length but definitely nowhere near looking like a satin stitch. It's still very clearly a zigzag. I love Raw Edge because it's much faster for me, and now that I have a machine that does blanket stitching, I do find that the blanket stitch doesn't require any kind of stabilizer to avoid puckering, but I think it will fray a little more than the zigzag. If you care about the zigzag pulling the background fabric in towards the applique, you can back it with a water soluble adhesive stabilizer (Solvy makes one that comes on a roll) though honestly, once you wash the quilt, you wouldn't even notice it. Just depends on how much it would bother you