View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 04:53 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Circles are, IMHO, the easiest of all applique. I have done hundreds and in my experience the easiest way to make them is to make a template. I use watercolor paper which is like card stock but you can also buy mylar template plastic that is heat resistant. Make your 6" circle out of the template. Cut your fabric circles at least 1/2" larger but I prefer about 3/4" larger or even a full 1" larger. Do a loose running stitch around the outside of your fabric circle. I usually make my stitches around 1/2". Leave long tails on your running stitch tread for pulling. Place template on wrong side of fabric and grab both those thread tails and pull the fabric taut around the template and press with a hot iron. I then remove the template and give them a quick spray of starch and go to my next one. When my next one is done I go back to the starched one I just did and give it another press with the iron. Works great and you always get nice smooth edges on your circles. I then hand sew them to my background squares using an applique stitch and silk thread. Made this quilt using that method. My circles finish at 5". [ATTACH=CONFIG]620863[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails asian-quilt.jpg