View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 11:22 AM
Iceblossom

Thanks Tartan, I call it "Houndstooth" but there is a modern block also with that name. When I first started quilting decades ago I put this on my list of things to do and never ever saw it in a show or book or fair. Then, just when I had collected enough fabrics M'Liss Rae Hawley came out with her book Fat Quarter Quilts and there it was prominently featured. I got cranky and decided not to make mine because everyone would think I based it on hers and not 20 years before. So I'm at my quilt guild and telling this story to one of my friends and the lady in front of us is just cracking up... Turns out it was M'liss, she was our featured speaker for that meeting! Anyway, I waited another 10 years or so before finally cranking it out (while not-cranky) a year or so ago.

It's a pretty good book, still recommend it and I often find it used.
https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Quarter-Q.../dp/1564772691

Each brown fabric is unique, many came from my 10" swapping squares so had to be able to be cut from that size scrap of fabric. That picture doesn't show it so well, but you can see at the top that the outer rows are made with half blocks of the border fabric + Christmas star background, then a band of the border fabric.

In my project where I'm making myself a quilt for each month of the year, this is my September quilt. I had a hard time coming up for a theme for September, I knew I didn't want to do back to school, so I decided it was my birthday month and this is my birthday choice of a present to myself