Old 12-17-2019, 05:09 AM
juliasb

Default Importance of contracts when making a quilt for someone

As most quilters are ask the question, "If I pay you will you make a quilt for me?" Along with the answer,"Yes", there comes the matter of cost. This can change a persons mind in a heart beat. A firm contract is something that may be hard to implement for friends but so necessary as not to harm friendship or distant loved ones. Of course the total stranger falls into this category too.
Most of my quilting is for the sheer pleasure of the craft. I am frequently ask if I would consider selling one or another of my quilts. This is a name your own price and no contract is necessary. I do put on the receipt however, "this sale is a final sale no guarantee on this quilt."
On quilts that I am ask to make with specific design, pattern colors and fabric I do have contracts. They can provide their own materials which include 1 yard extra of require fabric, batting and backing or I can purchase them after showing them fabrics that should look good with the pattern provided Or I can provide them an estimate of the cost and make the purchases for them.
Other important parts of my contract provide 50% non- refundable deposit. Remaining balance due on completion. Things are set in time frames. When I expect to have it complete (this includes a clause that health issues or natural disaster can delay the completion.
Payment if full on completion. The person has 1 month after being informed by certified mail that their quilt is ready for pick up. IF they do not arrange for pick up in that one month the quilt is forfeited along with their deposit. I explain each part of the contract before it is signed and witnessed. It will be interesting to see what other quilters do as far as contract. Some of our newer quilter may find this very helpful.