Old 12-17-2019, 05:40 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

I have been also using a contract for all commissions for 15+ years. I require a 50% non- refundable deposit before a single fabric is purchased, ( or cut) I also have the 30 day clause. I’ve only had one quilt relinquished in 15 years, it was a strange situation- the buyer was excited about her quilt, we talked on the phone numerous times arranged for me to deliver the quilt ( she was a previous boss of mine) I was on my way to her and she sent a text saying (“ I don’t want the quilt!”) I pulled over- and sat along side the road for a few minutes processing that - it was a king size quilt with appliqué, embroidery on silks- beautiful quilt. She had not seen it...
i turned around, went home and proceeded to write a letter stating she had 30 days to pay for and pick up her quilt or she relinquished all rights to the quilt and lost her deposit ( which was $600) . I sent the letter registered mail and waited. After the 30 days I sold the quilt for twice what I was charging her. I never did hear her reason, she did ask a couple years later if I still had it.
Anyway....
no matter who it is, have everything in writing! Communication is very important when doing any kind of business. I keep a copy and give the customer a copy of the signed contract. I also fear to have the quilt appraised. If they want the appraisal I also keep the appraisal and give them a copy of it the cost is included in the final amount due. If I have to ship the quilt shipping and insurance is added also. Cover Everything!