Thread: LQS Closing
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 02:55 PM
origamigoldfish

There's a LQS about ten minutes away from my home that I adore but don't get to visit very often because they're rarely open when I have time off. They have lots of classes, but they are always for peak business hours at my work and I can never get off to go. There is also a tiny tiny one in the town I work in, about a thirty minute drive from home. I haven't been in there yet, because I get dirty while I'm working and I don't want to risk getting that on new fabric.

My favorite LQS is about an hour away from here, and there's at least two more within a similar drive, but this one has the lowest prices and biggest selection of fabric.

Most of them have a pretty good facebook presence, but all of the ones that don't are slowly closing, one at a time. I know of four that have closed within the last few years, or switched to servicing machines or something else entirely. With the internet and easy shipping, it's far too easy to get exactly what you want delivered to your door. It's getting harder and harder to run a successful retail business, no matter what you're selling. It's hard to compete with every single fabric store out there instead of just supplying your local area.