View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 01:05 PM
Iceblossom

This year I have a number of projects that are kitted out and on my mind. I'm particularly trying to use up my collection of Civil War fabrics in the next year, I have one project planned for that but enough fabric for a couple more. I have a couple of smaller donation quilts in mind to use up collections of fabric for quick projects here and there, I do like to have something to work on most days.

My "Barn"/Harvest quilt that requires paper pieced blocks is always on my mind but never being worked on. I just need to sit myself down and start on the easiest blocks and go from there. It's a big stack of fabrics that is always causing issues and I want to get rid of them more than I want to do the blocks. It will be a win/win/win (done blocks, less fabric, better skills) when I do them.

I have other projects that I've kitted out that may or may not be worked on this year. For me I have a sampler of 9 large Lone Stars to be made with snowflake fabrics and looking like snowflakes which would be my January top (I'm doing a series of quilts I'm keeping for myself, a themed one for each month of the year. I don't make one a month, it's an eventual goal), since January isn't always crisp and white here in Seattle I have a silver "cloudy" day fabric too, people from dryer places would probably call it grey. A Christmas themed string quilt is another one all in a box and ready to go. I'm sort of saving it for when I'm having more problems than usual with my eyes, I figure it will be easier than all those triangles I'm doing with the civil war fabrics.

Then I want to get rid of things in the closet of my sewing room. I've purged a lot of fabric in the last 10 years and have gone from a room full to a closet full -- if I could use that closet! My sewing space/life will be much better once that is done.

I have a lot of things that I need/have already designated to purge. Stuff that's been around since my son moved out 10 years ago, things like that In the sewing room closet for example, are some down sleeping bags -- I'm allergic to down, my son is vegan, and if life is so bad that I need to worry about sleeping in a bag, then I'm going to have bigger regrets than having gotten rid of them.

If I clean out the closet in his old room, I can drill a hole through the wall and connect the tv in the master bedroom to the internet, the way our house is the router doesn't do it. Then I can put my clothes in there, which means the hubby can take his clothes out of the laundry room and into the master closet. And when I clear out the junk and find better options to store the sentimental things like the old Jenny Lind spool bed frame I'm not quite ready to get rid of, I will actually have room in my sewing room, not just a little channel from desk to door. I'll like that. With the newly cleared space, I should be able to move the family piano that needs work but is too full of sentiment to get rid of into the sewing room and still have a large open space -- that will allow us to have a couch in the computer/family room.

Probably won't get to it this year, but next year seems good. Need to go through the "laundry room" which is mostly storage separated off the garage. Want to get a freezer and put it in there, we'd like to move to more ethically produced "locker" meats, especially pork and need the larger space.