Thread: E Reader
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 03:52 PM
Iceblossom

I have vision issues and listen to audio books. I also have insomnia and so have a lot of time on my hands... I typically go through 2-3 books a week. The other thing nice about audio books is I can listen while sewing and so can do two hobbies at once! I have Amazon Prime so have Audio, but get most as downloads from my local library system. They also have books on CD.

I do more action/adventure/spy sort of things for the most part like the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child or anything by Clive Cussler, but I listen to all sorts of things from fantasy fiction to biographies. For historical type of things, I really liked the series by Sara Donati that starts with "Into the Wilderness". It's basically the characters from Last of the Mohicans by James Fennimore Cooper and covers from the pre-revolutionary war to about 1812 or so. Been a couple of years, but I really enjoyed the characters and story and got some history with Canada along the way.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...mlcyNjF&rank=1

I seem to have a lot of "alternate Sherlock Holmes" books going on right now. I really enjoy the Barker & Llewelyn series by Will Thomas, as well as the Mary Russell/Mrs. Sherlock books by Laurie King. In a similar vein/time period, I just finished one of the Gilded Age books by Rosemary Simpson (Sherlock Holmes time period but in New York with a female protagonist) and I just found the Rosalind Thorne books. Again, set in the late 1800s with a female lead. Very similar to the others are set in San Francisco is a series by Sarah Woolson.

You might also like the more historical based books from the Elm Creek Quilters books by Jennifer Chiaverini.