Old 12-22-2019, 12:34 AM
MeganMills

Default Pull Singer 201K (treadle) apart, clean it and put it together again

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and while I've sewn for years I've just recently caught the vintage machine bug... I know, it's incurable!

I'm trying to find instructions/how to's/guides/anything on dissassembling my Singer 201K (treadle) and putting it back together again. I want to clean every last nook and cranny in there I can find and get as much as possible clean-as-a-whistle before I put her back together again. I've got the adjuster's manual but it doesn't go that far, and it's a bit short on really clear pictures and thorough how-to's.

Do you know of any resources, or has anyone done this so has good advice for me, please? They were assembled in the first place, by the gazillions, so I figure there must still be plenty of people out there that know all about them, inside and out.

One thing I really want to do is get the spool pins out but I'm having so much trouble you'd think they got welded in rather than "tapped" in. I've noticed a hole under the machine that seems to go all the way to the base of the spool pin on the bed (for winding the bobbin). Does anyone know if I'm supposed to "tap" it out through that hole? And any tips on how to do it with the least fuss?

I want as much possible off the machine so that when I clean and polish those bits up I don't wreck the finish on the machine. She's an ugly duckling and is never going to be a swan, but I know if I can get her clean she'll look okay. Her decals don't look wonderful, but they're mostly there so I want to keep them as intact and in as good shape as I can. I think it will also just be easier to clean the body with all the accoutrements out of the way.

Any help, pointers tips or advice would be fantastic! Thank you.

(By the way, I got her for $35 NZD, which is about $23 USD, and that included the treadle table and base! They sold her as not working but I put a bit of kerosene in all the oiling holes and anywhere else that looked like it should move and within about 2 minutes I could turn her with my finger. Everything works pretty much and there looks to be nothing missing. !)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-22-2019 at 03:39 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps